Rather than making breakfast at home today, we went out to eat at one of our favorite breakfast/lunch places, First Watch. They always have a great selection of food on their menu, and most of it is on the better end of good for you. We had a breakfast hash today that was so awesome, I had to try and make it myself.
Wilted spinach, potato, zucchini, and onion topped with goat cheese, feta and an over-easy egg. The yolk is really what elevates the hash. The best part about this hash, is you can pre-cut the ingredients (minus the potato), store them in the fridge and have them ready to cook throughout the week. Dice the ingredients in small pieces so they cook more quickly.
- 1/4 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/4 cup potato, diced
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup mushroom, diced
- 1 bunch spinach or kale
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tsp coconut oil, divided
- 2 tsp crumbled feta
- 2 tsp crumbled goat cheese
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dice zucchini, potato, onion, red pepper into small pieces, roughly 1/4 inch square. You can dice larger pieces if you want, but the cooking time will be increased.
- In pan, heat to medium and add 1/2 tsp coconut, or other, oil. Add potato, and stir for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add zucchini and red pepper, continue to stir for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add onion and mushroom and cook till onion is transparent. Add spinach or kale and cook until wilted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn hash out into dish, sprinkle shredded cheese, feta and goat cheese over the top.
- Add remaining coconut oil to pan and return to heat. Add 2 eggs and cook either sunny side up or over easy.
- Turn cooked eggs out on to hash and serve.
Throw some bacon on the side, and a piece of toast and you’ve got a super-filling soul-satisfying breakfast at the ready. Try this recipe, and mix up the veggies. Add some bean sprouts , some sausage or even some jalapeños for some heat. If you’re a fan of a hearty breakfast to start your day, this will surely be a favorite.